Friday, October 31, 2014

Slacking back to Damascus

Driver Larry showed up too early, since I was still eating eggs and pancakes at 6am courtesy of Crazy Larry. I had said 6:30 for pickup, since I didn't want to start in the dark. We got to the trail crossing at 7am, and waited for the blazes to be visible at 7:15 before I started. First 1/2 mile was handicapped accessible, a gravel path through pasture ending at a bench with view to east, but still not yet sunrise. Then up along ridge, nice easy leaf filled trail. Pretty much the story all day, rolling along up knobs and down gaps. I took my time, nice steady pace for an all day stroll with my light weight on my back.



After my quick lunch at old no longer used shelter, I met the 3 southbounders who I shared the taxi with into Marion. They had taken a sunny zero day yesterday in Damascus, surprised to see me. They didn't seem too concerned about the forecast. But two older hikers were hoping to get picked up tomorrow morning at the road crossing I hiked from, if their shuttle can make it in the snow. Forecast remains for 4-8 inches starting tonight and for most of Saturday.

My birthday present to myself today was to finally finish the trail in VA.



Rain started after 2pm, first just as faint misting; it got colder as well, and I was glad to reach town at 4:30, just over 9 hours to do 22 miles.
A dreary drizzily Halloween for trick or treating.

No comments:

Post a Comment