Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Bland, VA

I hiked over 21 miles yesterday, even after a somewhat late start from Woods Hole after 8:30am. The trail was not too hilly, until late in the day, mostly rolling ridge-walking. I made good time through the low-lying Dismal Creek swamp area, with its many stream crossings. This was the scene of the 1981 murders, though the trail was quickly relocated and a new shelter built afterwards.
I got to Jenny Knob shelter at 6:30, at dusk with drizzle starting. Tired. Rain fell as I cooked in the dark, and it turned very cold later. Dark, damp morning as well, little light at 7am, and I left the shelter at 8am, intending another very long day, 24 miles to a shelter. Up on the ridge the wind and drizzle intensified, but the ridgewalking was not too hard. Slippery leaves and rocks, however, kept my attention focused. I met one hiker heading north, who told me of his stay in the last town, Bland. After 10 miles in 4 hours, stopped for quick lunch at noon. Then downhill steeply, wet, and slippery, and out to road leading over I-77, then scenic highway US route 52 after 1pm. Windy and wet, temps barely in the 40's. I'm cold and tired, and decide not to try to hike yet another 12 miles today, and instead try to hitch to motel. 2 cars later a woman stops, says she always picks up hikers here. So I'm now in a motel, warm and dry and well fed, content. Tomorrow's another day, and might warm up to the 50's and less chance of rain.
And since I rushed so much, no new photos, so here's a shot of Woods Hole owner Neville and me. And of some of the other denizens of the farm.







No comments:

Post a Comment