Thursday, October 30, 2014

Bible Belt

Several days to catch up since I've been in rugged wilderness with little if any cell service, even on the peaks. I took the 50 cent transit from Marion back to the trail--what a great service, my own personal bus shuttle! Cool and sunny, nice walking trails in the park to start. Met several section hikers, out for week or so, including AT Spike. He first did the trail in 1977, with just $1,000 to spend. He started at North Adams on the MA/VT border and walked home to VA, about 1,000 miles. Only now getting back to finish what he started.
After lunch and about 9 miles, I crossed a gravel road where Jerry and Brian were checking their trail magic bins (empty except for bandaids and gospel books). Proud members of Valley Missionary Baptist church, they gave me cookies and proselytized and explained all that they do on behalf of hikers.



Then I hiked steepy up hill for a few miles and just as steeply down to a paved road, where I hoped to hitch to a different Baptist church's hostel. Took a while, but I was finally picked up by a couple from Cape Cod visiting the area. Troutdale Baptist Church has showers in back and a separate little building with bunks. Two hikers had recommended it, even though hard to get to. Glad I came, since the hiker box was full of treats and staples. Too bad I was already well resupplied in Marion, but I gorged anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment