Saturday, October 25, 2014

Atkins VA

Several cool, cloudy and windy days, and very cold nights, but now warming up, sunny and 60's today. Two days ago I got turned around after a break, with no sun to guide me, and not paying attention. I hiked in reverse over a mile until I realized I was retracing my steps-- noticed the exact same bear scat I had passed earlier, walked on a bit more to confirm before turning around and heading "south" again. Directions are misleading, since the trail twists and turns so much in this area. Can go any and all compass directions it seems. Mostly ridge walking, sometimes rock scrambling on the crest, or else following contour lines slabbing the slopes. The open meadow pictured below was a nice change.
Today's thrill was finding 2 coolers filled with trail magic, only the 3rd time this year: last April with Rodney, and apples and sodas in Maine. Today was Little Debbie oatmeal cakes plus granola bars, and I skipped the sodas. But hikers do appreciate this generosity on the part of strangers.
The trail cosses I-81 in Atkins, and I couldn't resist this cheap motel with a restaurant nearby. Unfortunately the only vegetarian selection was a "combo plate" with macaroni, cottage cheese and potato salad on a bed of lettuce. I'll go back for egg breakfast tomorrow before hiking to Marion 12 miles away for resupply.


No comments:

Post a Comment