Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Stratton, ME mile 188.2

Left Andover 2 days ago, getting shuttled back out to Rt 17. Cool, cloudy, windy, but relatively flat 13 miles. Son Miles and I had slacked this stretch back in 1999. Got to Rt 4 that afternoon and road walked to the driveway for the Hiker Hut hostel, where I met owner Steve just pulling out. His hostel is primitive, but he has shower and laundry privileges at another hostel closer to town. I jump in and go there for quick shower and hand off of my dirty clothes for him to start wash. This hostel, the Farmhouse, is where the hiker "Senator" is celebrating his 26th birthday, so I say hello, before dashing off with Steve to grocery store. Then back to pick up the wash and then back to his hostel, where I meet his partner Catherine who hands me huge bowl of brown rice and lentil stew. They live in India 6 months of the year, so very interesting conversation around the fire.



This hostel is off the grid, no electricity, no running water, no heat, except stream and campfire. We have popcorn for desert, then bed, frost predicted. I survive night in my sleeping bag just fine, then breakfast and trail at 9am. Cold climb up Saddleback but great views.



Long day, for 15 miles, end up camping in dark on old logging road next to stream. Rain starts early am, enough to get tent and trail wet. Everything else, myself included, is damp and cold. Leave at 7:30am, hike all day in wet and cold and fog, though finally clears late afternoon sliding downhill. To road and quick hitch to Stratton, arriving at hotel hostel 6:15pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment