Monday, September 22, 2014

Monson zero day

Given the early morning rain, the huge breakfast I ate here at Shaw's, and the fact that I didn't sleep well, taking the day off was an easy decision. I'm also not the only hiker here with cold symptoms. I shipped my food drop and arranged to slack pack 15 miles back here tomorrow, and hope I'm well enough to enjoy the better weather coming the rest of the week.
At breakfast I chatted with John Vogel who is doing a long section hike. Turns out I had read about him -- he, his wife, and twin sons bicycled from the Artic Circle to Terra del fuego and blogged and wrote a book about this 3 year adventure (see http://familyonbikes.org)
Here he is in front of the lodging house before heading back to the trail.

Shaw's is for sale, after being run for 9 years by Dawn and Sue. They bought it from original owner Keith Shaw, who started it as a hiker hostel in 1977. More changes coming to the trail.
And I ran into another guy I hiked with in Georgia back in May, Hungry Horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment