Saturday, September 13, 2014

Forever Andover

Today was my zero day, at rest. I got a ride midday from Donna the massage therapist to Bethel, where she had an appointment and there is an outfitter, so I could get new raingear. Later, after a nap, I had another relaxing massage before dinner. Rain did come in late afternoon, but tomorrow should be sunny, when I return to the trail and hike the 13 miles to Rangeley, and still another hostel. 

I've enjoyed staying here at the Pine Ellis Hiker Lodge. Here's a photo of: seated, manager Naomi and owner Ilene; standing, the two shuttle drivers,  Ilene's son-in-law David (from Guatemala) and Gloria, and hikers Naturally Hob and Chickadee Deb.



"Hob" stands for "hike or bike" -- he and his wife Deb are retired school teachers who have biked on a tandem across country 6 times, topping my 4. They also have hiked all over Europe, fascinating to talk to.
And Andover, with a population of only 800, has a neat little library in a former church, a wood paneled octagonal structure. It also has a terrific bakery/restaurant, the Little Red Hen, Great breakfast plus all you can eat pizza and salad tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment