Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Rodney Montgomery, 1955-2014


My brother died late Sunday night at the shelter I left him at, from gastrointestinal bleeding. He was found in his sleeping bag Monday morning by thruhikers camping there. A family of day hikers talked with him Saturday at lunch time, gave him food, and asked if he needed help or wanted a ride. He declined. I don't understand this, and fully blame myself for leaving him, but he died as he preferred to live, on his own terms, on a trail in the woods.

I've arranged for his cremation, collected his gear, and am catching a bus home. My heart just isn't into continuing hiking in these beautiful hills without him, quite yet.


2 comments:

  1. I wanted to offer you my heartfelt condolences on the passing of Rodney. I'm sorry that he died, and I'm equally sorry that you're carrying around the added weight of self-guilt. I've been there, so I can empathize. I hope that you'll one day find the worth in returning to the trail & enjoying the unpolluted, unmolested beauty therein.

    Scott "One-Leg" Rogers, GA-ME '04-'05

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms Butler, There is nothing I can say that will lessen your loss of your brother. I suspect he knew something and he chose not to share with others, or did not want you to stay with him when he was feeling so ill. Many people have a premonition near the end You are right, he chose when and where. I encourage you to see the movie "Heaven is For Real" whenever you get the chance. I believe it will encourage your heart. From a Trail Angel who is praying for you

    ReplyDelete