Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Hot Springs NC

Easy 13 mostly downhill miles into town yesterday, staying at Elmer's Sunnybank  vegetarian B&B, where Rodney and I stayed in 1982. Still have big old clawfoot bathtubs. Checked out the actual hot springs, really just hot tubs, 102 degrees, not all that minerally so decided to spend the money on a massage and then just take a hot bath. I'm nursing a sudden onset summer cold with Emergenc, before beer. Hot Springs is like Heaven, in terms of the people you meet. I ran into many of the young folks I've hiked with the last few weeks, most taking zero days in this neat little town.
I also finally met the family I've heard about: Mother Bear (45lb. pack), her 10 yr. old son Spicy Guy (20lb. pack), and her 4yr. old twins (5lb. packs) Strong Guy and Little Butt. They've hiked from Springer averaging 10 miles/day, going to Harpers Ferry. Amazing. But happy, healthy, and having fun eating their favorite snack foods. Entering the Smokies we met a ridge runner who was quite worried about them, asking us to look out for them. The joke was that 4yr. olds would look like a Twinkie to a hungry bear.








No comments:

Post a Comment